Thursday, February 18, 2010

Does this top match my glow stick?

Something about feeling crummy makes me completely unable to sleep at night. And I don't know why, because I'm utterly exhausted by the time 10:00 rolls around. (That's right. I said 10:00. I'm a rock star. I know.) But I just lie there feeling poorly and thinking about completely random things...like the new dance party CD my little sister made for A.

This CD is fantastic, and the fact that my sister burned not one, but two, CDs for me makes me confident that she really likes me. You know what I'm talking about. Not just any Suzie Somebody gets a mixed tape.

After listening to this CD on several occasions, I've come to the conclusion that as much as I typically don't like to listen to dance music (as in "Let's go to club Friday" [boo-cha! boo-cha!] dance music), it strikes a very dangerous retail chord in me. I can't tell you how many Old Navy t-shirts and pairs of Gap jeans have been purchased while I've been on a dance music high. In that environment, it does something to me.

I think that hearing it takes me back to a very special place. Maybe Metro Center Mall in 1983. Ah, yes, and the Merry Go Round store. They were having a party up in that store. And, you know, that party wouldn't be complete without you and your bad hair busting up in there to make some really bad clothing choices. And everything I would have hope and dreamed I could have seen in that store would be realized the next Saturday morning while I watched "American Bandstand" with my sisters. (Note: I never once set foot in that store. I was pretty confident they didn't carry Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in a size 6x.)

Those stores were magical, mysterious places. Kind of like Abercrombie is now, I guess. I don't know what goes on in there, but it smells really musky when you walk by. Is it a store or a brothel? I just don't know.

I figure if I keep listening to the CD, I'll eventually get those new jeans I've been eyeing at the Gap. (boo-cha! boo-cha! boo-cha!) And maybe I'll dance myself into looking really good in them.

1 comment:

  1. Metro Center Mall in Jacktown? Wow, that brought back memories. Haha!

    ReplyDelete