Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vacation...all I ever wanted?

Wow. It's already October...and quite nearly November. I haven't posted anything since June. Where on earth does the time go? I'll tell you. It goes to what is quite possibly the most exhausting year of my life. Those of you who know me well know why it has been majorus crapius (that's Latin for "major crap") at times, and those of you who don't know why can just take my word for it.

When I look at the calendar, I almost allow myself to breathe a sigh of relief. "Ah, just 1 1/2 more months, and I can kiss 2010 goodbye!" This year is not going down the books as my Best Year Ever, and I'm living with this crazy false optimism that when the clock strikes 12:01 on January 1, 2011, fairies will descend from cotton candy clouds and frolic gleefully amid glitter and rainbow showers. It probably won't happen like that, but only because there's no such thing as a rainbow shower. Geez.

In our collective hope to salvage something downright fun out of 2010 (up to now anyway, because the holiday season promises major fun), we decided to vacate the premises. To head south. A few days at the beach to clear our heads amid the calm of the ocean, take some deep breaths of salty air, and enjoy a few sips of an adult beverage or twenty. We managed to get there sans oil spill or tropical disturbance, but we didn't escape craziness entirely.

Now indulge me, if you will, in a small aside here. You must know before I continue that Jim and I are vacation poison. When we leave the comforts of our home and head into the world, crazy things happen. Recent vacations have included: 1) a fall [not mine, surprisingly] down the grand staircase at Biltmore; 2) a bear encounter; and 3) allegedly haunted accommodations [did not read that detail in advertisement].

With that said, you can imagine my shock when I couldn't find one bad weather forecast for our trip. Making last minute accommodations went off without a major hitch. We closed a deal on a new family vehicle (aka: Swiss Army Car) that promised to bring mega fun to the road trip. All in all, we had this thing covered. Nary a disturbing blip on our radar. Until....

Thunder on the Gulf!!! RAHAHAHAH!!! (insert sound of crying marine life here)

That's all I'm going to say for now. No use in describing something when you have video footage you can upload and share with the world. And no use in describing something when words just...won't...do.

4 comments:

  1. Uh...let's see the video!

    I hope things start looking up for you and the family, Jen! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, there is a such a thing as a "rainbow shower". But you shouldn't Google it. Ever.
    -Forrest

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, hey, I can't wait to know what happened...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went on A (meaning one and no more) date with a fella and found out during the date that he participated in Thunder on the Gulf. We had a lot in common...such as we were both humans, from Louisiana, and single.
    ~ Jesse

    ReplyDelete