Monday, October 25, 2010

My New Obsession ("New" implying that there are many, many others...which is totally healthy, right?)

Ok, I realize there's major demand out there for that Thunder on the Gulf footage. Like all 3 of you who are dying to see it. I have no idea where the cable is that hooks up the camera to the computer, so you'll just have to hold ye horses. At least this way your anticipation can build to such great heights that you're sure to be disappointed. Yes!

Last night I was washing and drying the, I don't know, 2300 plastic storage containers that we have taking up valuable real estate in my cabinets. They're taking over my life, and I don't even like them that much...not at all really. I told Jim I need to break free from the plastic that's likely leeching excessive amounts of chemicals, synthetic hormones, and bad ideas (got to blame something, and it's certainly not the bourbon) into my body. I can't stand washing these things, by hand or otherwise. They never even dry completely in the dishwasher, so I have to spend no less than 10 valuable minutes working the edge of my dishtowels into every nook and cranny of every lid and every container. And, quite frankly, constant care of a 2-year-old in diapers helps me reach my "nook and cranny maintenance" quota for the day. I don't need that business up in my kitchen.

It's time to make a change. It's time to go old school. I'm talking glass storage. It won't stain, hold terrible odors, or remain in one piece when I inevitably drop it on the kitchen floor. Sure, that last item may seem like a big fat negative, but I like to live on the edge.

So this morning I started thinking about glass storage solutions or, dare I say it, opportunities. I need to make this change in a way that's both aesthetically pleasing and functional.

(Really, can you even get a sense of how important this is?! )

While thinking very, very hard, I had a flashback. Picture it. I am a wee little child, opening my grandmother's gigantic Frigidaire. Inside are stacks and stacks of leftovers, never to be eaten. (In fact, they're probably still there today. My grandmother never throws anything away or out, apparently.) I don't know what's in these containers, but it must be special. Because these containers are bee-yootiful! They're a milky white and turquoise and there are roosters on them and these cool glass lids that have these waves in them and oh my gosh I just can't stand it (flashback ending, coming back to reality) I just love turquoise more than ever now because it reminds me of the old counter tops in our old house gosh I miss that house and must have these NOW!!!! AHH!!!!



Whew. That was exhausting. And if I could, I'd post all the pictures of all the glorious Pyrex Butterprint that's out there...the white with turquoise, the turquoise with white, the Amish farmer and his wife. It's a beautiful thing, you know.

My dear friend Kathleen likes turquoise and all things adorably vintage, and I suspect she may have some of this lying around. She's moving this week, so I'm tempted to go to her house, find the box labeled "My Beloved Pyrex," and swipe it. And if she doesn't have any, I feel pretty sure she's about to after reading this post. Tell me I'm wrong, Kathleen.

So that's my new obsession. I'm totally fine with it. The stuff is everywhere, it's reasonably priced, and, furthermore, totally legal. See, perfectly safe obsession, right?

2 comments:

  1. I mean before I even got to the pyrex picture, I was totally thinking, "pyrex is the answer!" And not only was I thinking "pyrex is the answer," but I was thinking about that particular pattern of it...NO WAY. I found 2 of them at the flea market on Hwy.45 just two weeks ago. They were expensive though, it was the two tiny little containers. And they were priced at $24 each! I didn't get them, so I don't have any...yet. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it!! Your fantastic sense of style is unmistakable. Yep, they're all over Etsy and eBay--and not expensive at all. I'm keeping my eyes peeled...

    ReplyDelete