Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Unemployed"

At my request, the hospital provided me with a detailed bill. I just kind of felt like if I was going to write a big ole check (in fact, I feel like I need one of those gigantic game show checks for this one), at least I should see what I got for my money. Goodness knows we didn't get the prize we wanted.

After looking at the bill, it became quite obvious that I was admitted on what was quite possibly The Most Expensive Day for Medical Care Ever. My bill from the hospital pharmacy was over $1000, and I can't fathom why the little medicine they gave me was that expensive. Truly, if I had known what they were going to charge me for it, I probably could have directed them downtown where I suspect they could procure the same stuff for at least half price.

This billing breakdown was an insult to injury, of course. But the biggest slap in the face came when I looked at my patient information:

Age: 25 (You know, if you believe it, it's true.)
Sex: F (thought this was funny to have on a statement from a hospital called Woman's Hospital)
Occupation: Unemployed

"Unemployed??!!" I'll shout it again, with all caps and additional exclamation points. "UNEMPLOYED??!!!!"

On the contrary, dear hospital. I am quite employed. In fact, I'm employed at this moment and suspect I will be employed for the next 10, 15, 25, rest-of-my-life years.

And you know what? That statement--the nice reminder that, while you're working your patootie off most days, you're not bringing in a dime--is not something you want to see on a bill.

Well, I guess I got my feelings hurt. That's shocking. That never happens. (Ask Jim.)

Anyway, I'm responding by throwing myself into some sewing projects. I just finished my niece's b'day gift (will post pics soon), and I'm starting on another niece's one too (won't post pics, because I want her mom to be surprised). All of this is on the heels of having to complete a rush order for yet another niece. And by "rush order" I mean the order she called in last Friday and had sent to me as a written request that arrived by mail Monday. It was a 24-hour turnaround order. She's tough, that one, but I was happy to oblige.

I guess one can do all of this kind of stuff when she's "unemployed." So, anyone else out there unemployed? I'd love to hear about all you're not doing.

2 comments:

  1. I have always harbored a suspicion that you would amount to very little. Really, couldn't you get a dignified job at Wal-Mart stocking shelves?

    Could you imagine a Jewish doctor writing such a prescription form for Mary: Mary, Mother of God, unemployed.

    Joshua (Meridian--just in case you and Jim have already forgotten)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua, that's the best screen name ever. And yes, we had already forgotten. Guess we went "all in" on the bourbonapocalypse ourselves?

    ReplyDelete