Wednesday, November 3, 2010

CATastrophe!

Poor Kitty. She made the terrible decision to fall ill as I fell ill earlier this year. So we didn't really notice she wasn't doing well. If laziness, apathy, and detachment present themselves in a cat, how can you begin to know these are signs that something isn't right? That's just standard operating procedure. But when Kitty started sounded like she had swallowed huge, funky ball of lint, we thought, "Hmm, wethinks Kitty is under the weather."

Some $400 and many mild heart attacks later (ours, not Kitty's), our vet told us she may or may not have lung cancer (I told her she shouldn't smoke!) or asthma or pneumonia. I resisted the urge to tell said vet that he may or may not have my continued business after $400 and no firm diagnosis.

Then we moved. And then some more unfortunate unfortunateness unfortunately fell our way. Again, Kitty was neglected. Not "call the ASPCA" neglected, just put on the back burner. (Yes, I realize that probably makes you think of our cat simmering stove top [sorry], but I couldn't think of any other phrase.) You know it's a rough time in your life when you have to say things like: "I really would like to stay alive, so you'll just need to hang on a few more months while we make that happen...so, um, don't die, ok? Good kitty."

Right now Kitty is on three different medications, two of which were custom flavored at the pharmacy. I'm hoping that one day I'll get an ailment that requires a liquid medication, so I can take it to the same pharmacy and answer the question "Would you like this flavored?" with "Yes, 'assorted dead fish,' please!" Kitty seems to like it, and we're happy for that. When you've spent money on cat medicine, you much prefer to see it in your cat rather than cat-spit spray painted all over your walls. I'm still finding little specks of her last medicine--a horrible tee-tee yellow color, which she spewed all over our vanilla walls. And if there's one thing I don't love, it's the appearance of someone having peed on my walls, so it seems like our current medicine situation is a win-win.

Our new vet, who I believe to be far superior to the last, is getting close to a diagnosis. I was hopeful that we were just dealing with asthma. I thought to myself, "Sure, I can manage that. Just some medicine or breathing treatments or something relatively easy, right?" Then I made the mistake of putting the Google in my computer, and I stumbled upon this:



WHAT?! Oh my gosh. I don't know if I'm more terrified of the hose or the cat. What kind of cat is that calm while having a hose of pressurized air shoved in its face? The kind that will suffocate you in your sleep probably. This will not be an option for Kitty. Although that's kind of a shame, because I, personally, would pay good money to watch what is unfolding in this picture. If it were happening in my own home, all the better.

But what if the soon-to-be-patented Nose Hose doesn't work?


No! Noooooooo!!! Man, oh, man. If her meds don't work, we're in trouble. Even that cat, who looked content just minutes ago with a tiny garden hose shoved against her nostril, seems a little perturbed. Just a little.

But here's something: Annie just walked in, looked at this picture, and said, "Aw, kitty's having a beeeeer!!" (Kinda makes you wonder about our beer drinking technique.) But there's an idea. Or maybe I should just have one. After all, I've spent nearly $50 on having the cat sedated for blood work and X-rays, and no one's has offered me the first thing. For crying out loud, the money we've spent, the early morning lugging the cat and kid to the vet's office by 7:30, the knowledge that there's more and more funky fish-scented medicine in our future, and the reality that I may be staring down the barrel of the Nose Hose any day now.... whew... It never stops.

Suddenly I'm having trouble breathing too.

5 comments:

  1. I'm crying, I'm laughing so hard right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I must admit that when I saw these photos, my first thought was, "JILL!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nose hose....I am dying over here. Just dying. FWIW, when my Chihuahua started taking medicine that was, get ready for it, $60 a month, I paid it for a few months. And then he had to wear a diaper because he was incontinent. And I did that for a few months, spending money on diapers and medicine. Then I had a baby. In diapers. And a dog. In diapers. Guess what...one of them took a last trip to the vet. It wasn't the baby. Sad decisions made by pet owners.....nose hose. No way, dude, no way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how old is kitty now?? is she eating/drinking normally? how is her weight?? the vet said no to pneumonia?? what are the signs of the illness exactly?? -Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne--Oh my goodness! I didn't even think to ask you about it. Shame on me. She's about 10 years old, she's lost some weight, and no to pneumonia. Her white blood cell count was fine, so the vet is doubtful it's cancer or pneumonia. Maybe a fluid issue, she thinks? We're continuing two meds--furosemide and aminophylline--and will x-ray again in 2 weeks. (She's been on those nearly 2 weeks already, and we just finished an antiobiotic.) If necessary, the vet says she'll send the next x-ray to a radiologist at the vet school at State. Kitty's breathing is better, though, so I'm hopeful we'll get this figured out sooner than later. Any ideas from you??

    ReplyDelete