Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Blanket Apology

I'm beginning to notice that most of the ideas I have for blog entries are much less crafty and much more, er, really less crafty. But such is life right now. Annie dropped her afternoon nap months ago, so there's narry a moment in time that isn't spent feeding her, entertaining her, feeding her, running errands, and feeding her. As any mom of tiny tots will tell you, you finally carve out a little down time around 9:00 pm...and then you realize you may as well go to sleep but someone will undoubtedly wake you up in three short hours.

So not much is getting done around here. I started a couple of dolls to accompany the one I made for Annie last Easter, and I've gotten as far as sewing and stuffing one head and torso. I actually discovered Annie laughing and pulling fiberfill out of the doll's head the other day, and I'm trying not to think too hard about what that may say about her psychological state.

I was totally enveloped by the paper piecing quilt project I started, until my hands started to hurt. When I noticed I was wringing my hands like a mawmaw and talking about feeling the bad weather in my joints, I knew it was time for a break. No project, aside from mothering, that makes you feel that old is worth the effort.

Now I want to pick it back up, though, mostly because we'll be settling into the new house soon. Annie will be moving out of a toddler bed into a bonafide "big girl" bed, and she'll need the proper accessories--namely a quilt draped beautifully on the end of her bed that makes the statement, "Look at the detail. My mommy loves me more than yours." Actually, in all honesty, she'll be lucky if she gets a decorative throw pillow tossed her way. Perhaps I should have realized: Quilts take a long, long time. Sorry, Annie, for your underaccessorized bedding. I hope you can find it in your little heart to forgive me.

But God Bless the little sweet pea, who stretched out on it one day and said, "Mommy, I just love my beauti-hul quilt!" Maybe I should just stop with what I have. She's only two, you know. She has no idea that there's no such thing as a decorative quilted bed runner, right?

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, look at all those hexagons! and your sweet girl! I can't believe how much you've done on that. It's so pretty, and a hexagon quilt does mean your mommy loves you more than the average mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blogs!!! And that quilt is a beauty! And it goes without saying that little Miss Thang is adorable as always!!!

    ReplyDelete