Monday, May 24, 2010

Bias Tape Is Fun!! (not really)

Bias tape. It looks absolutely spectacular in its neat little package, but it is not wanting to be my BFF. I had a feeling we'd get off to a rocky start, seeing that I'm not at all a fan of Bias Tape's renegade cousin, Piping.

Sadly this temperamental sewing notion is crucial to a project I'm making for my niece's upcoming 7th birthday. (Excuse me while I take a moment to wipe away the tears that are filling my eyes as I think of my teeny baby niece now 1/3 on her way to adulthood...sigh.) I found this nifty pattern for a bedside organizer that slips in between the mattress and box springs and holds books, magazines, etc., and it's the perfect thing for a girl who spends most nights pouring over her Little House books. I assure you, whatever picture is in your head is, in fact, that adorable.

Birthday gifts are, in my sister's words, my niece's love language. And I don't think it's so much that she likes getting the stuff (which she probably does), but she likes that people are thinking of her. Often when I call her, I'll say, "I was thinking of you today!" and she'll answer with the sweetest, "You were??!!" Like, "Little 'ole me??!! You were thinking of me??!!"

I'm really enjoying sewing this project, because I'm imagining all of those Little House books--and maybe a teeny flashlight--tucked into those pockets. But I must say that sewing for this 6-year-old craft connoisseur is stressing me out just a wee bit. Whereas I'm pretty confident that most people wouldn't inspect my seams, I'm not so sure here. After the gift gets in her hands, I'll be anxiously awaiting the phone call where she tells me how cool it is and then says, "But Jennifer, I noticed it looks kind of crazy in some places."

Thanks for nothing, bias tape. But I will conquer you. Oh, yes.

And I was thinking that since my niece just lost her first top tooth, at least I'll be able to come back to her criticism with, "Maybe so, but you look kind of crazy in some places too." :)

2 comments:

  1. Go.Conquer. You are smarter, better, and funnier than any ol' bias tape. I mean, really, A LOT funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, I think "you are funnier than bias tape" is by far one of the best compliments I've ever received.

    ReplyDelete